The Director of Client Services is responsible for oversight of all client services in the Home Care department, which includes service delivery and clinical operations. The individual in this role directs, plans, and organizes all activities of staff in rendering client-centered care. They ensure that the quality of service given by the program is consistent with agency philosophy, policies, values, and goals. And they ensure compliance with New York State Department of Health regulations for Licensed Home Care Service Agencies, and contractual requirements.
In the absence of the Associate Executive Director for Home Care, the Director of Client Services has overall administrative and clinical responsibility for the agency’s home care programs.
Direct Reports: Clinical Manager and Client Service Manager.
- Responsible for the overall management and delivery of home care services in adherence to the standards set forth by the NYS Department of Health and contractual obligations.
- Develop, implement, and oversee procedures and workflows to ensure staff compliance with regulatory requirements, nursing practice standards, agency policy, and operational best practices.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of agency policies and procedures in collaboration with other department leads. Maintain agency policies and procedures in compliance with NYSDOH regulations.
- Plan, develop, and implement annual performance management programs; oversee and direct all quality improvement activities ensuring consistent achievement of desired thresholds and organizational standards.
- Support the hiring of new employees, and ensure new employees receive comprehensive on-boarding experience.
- Oversee the development and implementation of programs designed to achieve favorable patient care outcomes, in accordance with payor requirements and industry best practices.
- Ensure that provided service hours are consistent with authorized/requested service hours.
- Identify the diverse needs of the client population and collaborate with training and recruitment leadership to hire and retain a diverse workforce.
- Oversee the development and provision of the agency’s staff education program for all clinical, administrative, and home health aide staff.
- Collaborate with Associate Executive Director for Home Care and Corporate Compliance Officer to maintain and adhere to the agency’s corporate compliance program.
- Support Associate Executive Director for Home Care in managing existing agency contract relations and new contract procurement.
- Collaborate with Associate Executive Director for Home Care to engage with contractors, professional organizations, and trade associations to improve service delivery practices.
- Provide leadership and advocacy collaborations with community partners and other organizations to improve funding and services for community recipients.
- May have on-call responsibilities.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Specialized Skills and Competencies
- Interpersonal and Customer Service Skills: As this role involves project management of various kinds, the Director of Client Services must be able to interact with clients, compliance auditors, Sunnyside Community Services staff agency-wide, his/her supervisor, and any other stakeholders in a thoughtful, respectful, and dignified manner.
- Problem-Solving Skills: As this role involves managing contact with vulnerable individuals and staff, the Director of Client Services must demonstrate creativity in responding to challenging situations, including being able to distill and process a variety of information quickly and accurately, and prioritize action steps.
- Time Management Skills: As coordination of home care services is a key component of this role, the Director of Client Services must be particularly adept at managing their time and that of their direct reports. They must be able to balance multiple conflicting priorities.
- Stress Management Skills: As the pressures of working in client-care can be high (both with regards to the clients, nursing, and the compliance aspects of the work), the Director of Client Services must be able to effectively manage stress, stay calm, and make rational decisions. They must be able to help their staff to do the same.
- Verbal and Written Communication Skills: As communication of various kinds is key to the delivery of service that this role oversees, the Director of Client Services must be able to engage with different audiences, speak clearly and succinctly when conveying information, and document information clearly and accurately.
- Good Judgment: As this role is responsible for managing potential crises and active emergencies, the Director of Client Services must be able to identify and evaluate unusual or high-risk situations and must exercise a high degree of prudent thinking when responding to them.
- Operational Effectiveness: As this role has primary responsibility for service delivery and compliance, the Director of Client Services must demonstrate competence in managing staff efficiently, ensuring the appropriate use of agency resources and must demonstrate the ability to be cost effective and cost conscious.
- Privacy and Confidentiality: As the Director of Client Services will have access to client and personnel information, they must have the ability to hold all such information, and any other protected information, in the strictest confidence during the processing, storing, and discarding of that information, and must share it only on a need-to-know basis.
- Continuous Learning: As the Director of Client Services’ primary responsibility is the delivery of patient care in an evolving regulatory environment, they must ensure they stay up to date with changes in regulation, contractual and payor requirements, and industry best practices.
- Registered Professional Nurse with a current license and registration to practice in New York State.
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing or a health or human services field.
- Minimum of four years in a healthcare supervisory/management role, preferably in home care.
- Minimum of four years homecare experience.
May encounter prolonged standing, walking, lifting supplies, stooping, and bending. When making a home visit, may encounter prolonged walking and/or stair climbing.
Office setting and occasional home visits or out-of-office meetings. Evening and weekend work required to meet deadlines and/or attend occasional meetings or seminars. May travel interstate for meetings.
Salary: $120,000 – $140,000 (Exempt)
$10,000 sign on bonus after 90 days of successful employment.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter and resume to Melissa Vitale at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Director of Client Services” in the email subject line.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services strives to address, explore and educate all our stakeholders about the diversity of the human experience and to advance and integrate racial equity and social justice into all organizational policies and programs.
We believe that everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization, should feel equally involved and supported. SCS represents a commitment to considering the whole person and how systemic barriers and access to opportunities can affect well being.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer.