The Senior Community Resources Specialist on the NYCBenefits team will be instrumental in supporting immigrant New Yorkers and low-income adults. The role encompasses guiding these community members through the intricacies of public benefits programs such as SNAP, One-Shot Deals, Cash Assistance, and more. The Senior Community Resources Specialist will also ensure clients are connected to a broader array of services offered by Sunnyside Community Services (SCS), including internal referrals to Adult & Immigrant Services and diverse SCS programs like home care, senior caregiving, and after-school programming for their family members. This position is key to building a comprehensive support network that addresses the multifaceted needs of SCS clients in a holistic and empathetic manner.
Client Engagement and Case Management
- Engage immigrant New Yorkers and low-income adults in one-on-one sessions to identify their unique needs and create tailored support plans.
- Manage a caseload of clients, maintaining continuous interaction and confidentiality.
- Guide clients through the NYCBenefits screening, application, and appeals process.
- Advocate with city agencies on behalf of clients to ensure access to eligible benefits.
- Maintain regular communication with clients about their benefits application progress and assist with recertifications.
- Facilitate internal referrals to other Adult & Immigrant Services and SCS programs, such as home care, senior caregiving, and after-school programs for clients’ family members.
Data Management and Reporting
- Collect, maintain, and manage comprehensive electronic files and programmatic data using internal databases.
- Document detailed case notes and track participant demographics and assessments.
- Assist the Community Resources Manager with report preparation and data analysis for program evaluation and improvement.
Community Engagement and Advocacy
- Participate in focus groups and support sessions for clients under the guidance of the Community Resources Manager.
- Engage in advocacy efforts relevant to the needs of our participants, including rallies, phone banking, and campaign activities.
Financial Relief Assistance
- Provide guidance and support to clients seeking financial relief through private and public grants.
- Perform other related duties as needed to enhance the effectiveness of the NYCBenefits team and the SCS mission.
- Bilingual required; Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or a related field, plus 2-3 years relevant experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral and written communication.
- Flexibility, patience, resourcefulness, a willingness to learn, and an ability to work independently and creatively.
Schedule: Full-time (35 hours per week)
Salary: $55,000 – $58,000
SCS offers an Excellent Benefits Package:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution
Flexible spending account and transit checks
- Employee Assistance Program
- 20 paid vacation days and 12 paid sick days per year
- 12 paid holidays
- Five personal/floating days
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
How to Apply
If you would like to join our team, please forward a cover letter and resume with subject line “Senior Community Resources Specialist” to Tatiana Espinoza, Community Resources Manager, at email@example.com.
Sunnyside Community Services’ strength lies in its ability to work with people at every stage in their lives and in their own communities. We pride ourselves in an approach that is comprehensive, caring and community-based.
All positions at Sunnyside Community Services are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Sunnyside Community Services strives to address, explore and educate all our stakeholders about the diversity of the human experience and to advance and integrate racial equity and social justice into all organizational policies and programs.
We believe that everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization, should feel equally involved and supported. SCS represents a commitiment to considering the whole person and how systemic barriers and access to opportunities can affect well being.
Sunnyside Community Services is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Employer